Unfortunately, wildfires have become a frequent natural disaster in many parts of North America and especially in the States. Residents in states such as Oregon and California have been hard hit lately, and even after the wildfire subsides there is the continual threat posed by the smoke and ash that lingers for weeks or months thereafter.
Why is Wildfire Smoke So Harmful To You?
Wildfires send smoke, toxic gases, and tiny particles into the air and these can be carried for hundreds of miles bringing serious long-term health problems with them. Did you know that wildfire smoke is as hazardous as tobacco smoke? In fact, it contains more than 400 gaseous chemicals such as carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxide, and low concentration of volatile organic compounds including benzene.
Moreover, worse than cigarette smoke, wildfire smoke contains ultra-fine ash, microscopic airborne particles that can be easily breathed into your respiratory system and pose a major health hazard to your body. Despite all people being at risk, children, the elderly and people suffering from asthma are most vulnerable.
Some of the common symptoms include coughing, itchy eyes, running nose, wheezing and difficulty breathing. Some people can be adversely affected leading to asthma, high blood pressure or heart attacks. This prompts those affected by wildfires to consider the best way to deal its aftereffects. And the solution squarely lies with an air purifier.
How Does an Air Purifier Work?
This gadget deploys a system of built-in fans to pull the air in your home through several filters. As the air pass through the filters, harmful microscopic particles are removed and the purified air is circulated back into your home. This process is repeated over and over keeping your air free from pollutants.
If you live in a wildfire-prone area, you may have been prompted to search online for the best air purifier for wildfire smoke and you were met with hundreds of web pages discussing the pros and cons of different purifiers.
The search ends here! This is because we will highlight the top 6 air purifiers for wildfire smoke based on customer reviews and expert advice and provide you with insights into the best air purifiers available on the market.
So let’s get started…
6 air purifiers for wildfire smoke
1. LEVOIT LV-H132 Air Purifier
This purifier is widely regarded in the market because of its flexible functionality. Unlike most air purifiers, it eliminates smoke particles that pose problems at home or office area. Many users have advocated for this purifier because of its built-in lighting that illuminates perfectly. Installed with a HEPA filter, this purifier offers value for money because of its ability to clean air within a relatively short time.
- Has optional low, medium and high-speed settings
- Eliminates smoke and ashes at the same time
- Highly efficient as it filters air through a 3-phase process
- Environmentally friendly and does not produce UV elements
- Users can adjust brightness at night depending on their needs
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Has lighting making it easy to use at night
- Buyers need to replace twice each year based on usage levels
- Children can easily dismantle the parts if not carefully watched
2. Blue Pure 121 Air Purifier
This is a powerful device with a 3-stage filtration process which begins with a washable pre-filter that arrests larger particles such as dust or ash. Next, the air goes through a carbon activated filter where even the minutest air contaminant is caught. This carbon filter also removes common odors, dust and wildfire smoke. It is designed for large rooms up to 700 square feet, making it a good choice for a home with large rooms. It is Energy Star rated for its high efficiency in energy conservation.
- Efficiently filters air with a 99% success rate
- Pre-filters are washable and recyclable
- Works well even in large rooms
- Quiet operation even at high speeds
- Its proven to be energy efficient
- Not ideal for small rooms
- It is expensive
3. Pro Breeze 5-in-1 Air Purifier
This device comes with multiple functions that allow customers to have the best experiences. Designed using the latest technologies, Pro Breeze 5-in-1 Air Purifier is an ideal device for customers interested in keeping their homes safe from ions and particles that cause health problems. The device allows customers to adjust settings based on their conditions and has a simple design for all users.
- A timed system that enables the purifier to change after a given duration
- Powerful functionality capable of handling smoke, odor and dust particles around home
- Traps particles estimated at 0.3 microns because of its organized filters
- Keeps ions away because of a system that detects them
- Customers can use the device in different areas such as kitchen, bedroom, and office
- Poor setting of the timer may lead to more energy consumption
- Poses risks to children if not kept in a safe place
4. LEVOIT LV-PUR131 Air Purifier
This purifier stands out as one of the best home devices according to manufacturers because of its 3-stage filtration system, namely, the pre-filter, true HEPA filters and an activated carbon filter. Appealing too is its smart mode that automatically indicates the quality of the surrounding air, thus suggesting the ideal fan speed to purify the air faster. Furthermore, this purifier is fabulously 100% ozone-free, for it doesn’t use UV or ions. It can comfortably cover a large living room of up to 332 sq ft, purifying the air in 10 minutes. It meets the strict requirements and standards of major quality-control organizations.
- Has a highly efficient 3-stage filtration system
- Includes a sleep-mode function
- Smart auto mode that suggests best fan-speed
- It is 100% ozone-free
- Efficient in energy conservation
- Comes with a 2-year warranty and lifetime support
- Not easy to operate for those unfamiliar with modern technology
- Poses risks if plastic cover is not removed
5. PARTU Air Purifier
This is one of the most silent air purifiers you will find on the market, providing the most comfortable sleep environment while still cleaning your air. It has 3 levels of fan speed, but even the highest is whisper silent. Remarkably, it comes with a super efficient 4-stage filtration system that will arrest 99.9% of air pollutants and is perfect for pets too. The filters will require a replacement after 3 to 6 months and are easily cleaned with a soft brush or hand-held vacuum cleaner. It also has cool iridescent 7-color night light with an option to keep the illumination off when undesired.
- Super efficient 4-part filtration system
- Simple and easy to operate
- The filters are washable
- Multicolor iridescent lighting
- Has whisper-silent operation thus ideal when sleeping
- Stylish, sleek design
- Ideal for users with pets
- Cannot be used for large rooms
- Comes with a plastic bag in the purifier when new that must be removed but the instruction label doesn’t stand out
6. Blue Pure 411 Air Purifier 3
This device is equipped with a 3-stage filtration system that efficiently captures 99% of common air pollutants such as odors, smoke, and dust. These advanced filters allow for a higher air flow rate at a lower noise level and are recyclable. It has a sleek, unique design coupled with a user-friendly one-button control. Significantly, it is energy-star rated for efficient energy performance. It is well suited for small to medium rooms, not exceeding 175 square feet, making it the ideal choice for small bedrooms.
- Very simple to operate, thus ideal for the elderly
- Comes with highly effective 3-part filtration system
- Filters are washable and recyclable
- It’s energy efficient
- Runs smoothly and quietly thus ideal for bedrooms
- Ideal for medium and small households
- Does not function well in a large area
- Requires frequent replacement of filters
Health Tips for Dealing with Wildfire Smoke
Keeping the air clean is paramount in the wake of a wildfire outbreak even months after the disaster itself. At that point, an air purifier is no luxury. It’s important to know that the best choice air purifiers for wildfire smoke are those with a higher Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), that is, those that are capable of providing the highest number of air changes per every hour.
We hope this review has enlightened you to know the best air purifier for wildfire smoke. So go out and buy one now. Don’t wait for a disaster to happen.